Sunday, February 7, 2010

Do What You Love

Having a creative mind is a bit of a curse because I love everything!  I could plan twenty different weddings and have no regrets for any of them (there was a time I thought about becoming a wedding consultant).  However, I've found that when it comes to planning your (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime special day you really have to dig deep and think about who you are and what you love most.

When my fiance, C, and I started planning all we talked about was throwing convention to the wind.  We DID NOT want your typical run-of-the-mill "cookie cutter" wedding!  But the more we talked and the more we planned, we realized that all weddings fit some shape or another; it's just in how you decorate it that makes it absolutely unique.  It's all about the details and personal touches and how your guests will see you and your grand ideas and think "Wow, this is so them!"

So this started me on a personal journey to discover what kind of person I am, what kind of couple C and I are, and what I love the most.  Here's the top five:

I'd have to say that first and foremost C and I love music.  He's played a number of musical roles in several bands and works as a recording engineer.  I was raised in a musically inclined family by a piano teacher mom and floated in and out of school choirs.  This deep interest has already surfaced in a few different areas of planning.

Another thing we both love is simplicity.  No drama.  No fru-fru.  No bending over backwards to give guests an impression of something we're not.

We love the planet.  I admit it -- we're kind of eco-nuts.  We used compostable plates made out of palm leaves for our "fine Thanksgiving china". We recycle like crazy and buy local as often as we can.

Personally, I love color.  Keep your dark and smokies, leave your pastels at home.  I want bright and bold and beautiful and I want it to pop up in unexpected places.

Fun!  C and I love fun.  Our goal (as I'm sure is everyone else's) is to make this special day as fun and memorable as possible.  Sadly, I've been to some really booooring weddings and no one wants the day they've worked so hard to plan being remembered like that!

So there is our direction in planning.  We hope to meet all these things, perhaps not in every aspect but certainly in some.  It makes wedding planning so much easier when you have clear-cut goals and ideas that you can then build upon.

From "We Can Make That"

No comments:

Post a Comment